The Cumberland Arms, built around 1860, looks over the Ouseburn Valley, an 18th century hive of industrial activity, now home to a multitude of art studios, music venues and the world famous Seven Stories, The National Centre for Children’s books. The pub is only fifteen minutes walk from the city centre, where you can explore Newcastle’s theatres, restaurants, parks and shopping or take a walk down to the Quayside to experience the Baltic, Centre for Contemporary Art, The Sage Gateshead and views of the seven bridges across the Tyne. As well as being easily placed to get out to see what the city has to offer we’re also a haven to return to with our open fires, real ale and cider. With our impromptu folk sessions, comedy, bands, poetry and more in the upstairs venue you could just choose to settle in and enjoy.
We have four ensuite rooms available.
Standard Double or Twin room is £95. This includes a choice of breakfast from the Breakfast Menu below.
Standard Single room is £80. This includes a choice of breakfast from the Breakfast Menu below.
Special Promotion Sunday – Thursday:
Midweek Special Single – £55. This includes an original breakfast. You can of course upgrade to a cooked, veggie cooked or bountiful for an additional £7 per person, or any of the other breakfast choices for £5 per person
Midweek Special Double/Twin – £80. This includes an original breakfast. You can of course upgrade to a cooked, veggie cooked or bountiful for an additional £7 per person, or any of the other breakfast choices for £5 per person
All prices include VAT. All Double beds are Super King Size
Babies and toddlers sleeping in a cot are free.
You pick the breakfast and we deliver it to your room at your selected time, between 8am and 10am.
Please pick from:
The Original: A simple breakfast of coffee/tea, juice, cereal and toast (with butter and preserves).
The Bountiful: A continental, with coffee/tea, juice, cereal, bakery goods, meat, cheese and boiled egg.
The Cooked: A selection of sausages, bacon, poached egg, tomato, mushrooms and baked beans with coffee/tea, juice, cereal and toast.
The Veggie Cooked: A selection of vegetarian sausages, poached egg, tomato, mushrooms and baked beans with coffee/tea, juice, cereal and toast.
The Vegan Cooked: A selection of vegan sausages, hash browns, tomato, mushrooms, tomato and baked beans with coffee/tea, juice, and toast.
(if you would like a plant based milk with your breakfast please let us know)
Scrambled Egg and Toast: 3 eggs scrambled, with white or brown (or both) toast, with coffee/tea, juice, and cereal
Poached Egg and Toast: 2 poached eggs, with white or brown (or both) toast, with coffee/tea, juice, and cereal
If you require a gluten free breakfast or have any other dietary requirements please let us know
Will we ask for your breakfast order in advance of your stay as we cannot guarantee availability on the day. If you have not told us by 8pm on the night of your stay which breakfast you would like at what time you will receive the original breakfast sometime between 8.30am and 9am.
Here are a few extra things we’d like to make you aware of, if you have any questions please feel free to email or call us.
- If you wish to cancel your booking please contact us 7 days before. If you cancel within 7 & 2 days of your arrival date 50% of your room will be charged to you
- In the event that you don’t turn up or you cancel within 2 days of your arrival date we will charge the full cost of the room
Please be aware that this is a busy and lively pub that enjoys live gigs and music sessions we have undertaken every precaution to ensure that this noise does not effect the B&B however if you are worried about this please speak to us and we can offer you one of the top floor rooms if they are available, as these are furthest away from the pub.
Regardless to the noise the pub makes we do ask that you respect other guests staying in the B&B, which could include children.
Other important bits
- All rooms are non smoking.
- There is no disabled access to the rooms as they are all accessed by stairs
- Please be aware that any damage to the rooms that warrants extra cleaning or mending will be charged to you
- The Cumberland Arms reserves the right to ask you to leave if they feel you have not acted in accordance with the ethos of the Pub and B&B. This could include smoking anywhere inside the building, having unauthorised people to stay, damage or theft, disrespect to any fellow guest, pub customer or member of staff
- We also have a zero tolerance policy on the consumption of any illegal substances on the premises.
- Everyone at The Cumberland looks after and respects each other and we hope our guests will follow this example and enjoy staying with us. If you feel you have been treated disrespectfully or have any problems while you are staying with us please let us know so that we can address it for you straight away. We don’t like unhappy people.
- There are no overnight onsite staff after the pub has closed. If you need anything in an emergency please contact 101 for the non emergency police or 999 in an emergency.
- All rooms have Super King-size beds which can be split to make a twin. They all have ensuite bathrooms with showers
- Please note all rooms are accessed by stairs and there are no lifts
- Other room extras include tea and real coffee making facilities and TV/DVD with Freeview
- Although dogs are very welcome in the bar, we are unable to have them in the rooms
- We can provide a cot with bedding, please request in advance
- We are able to store bikes for you
- There is parking outside the pub and nearby but we need to let you know you leave your car at your own risk
- The rooms have large radiators in the bathrooms for drying out clothes.
- Hairdryers and irons are available on request/in the room
- There is Wi-Fi available (please ask when you check in for the code)
- We can arrange a Packed Lunch for you for £5 (please request when booking)
Access Policy for The Cumberland Arms Bed and Breakfast
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
The Cumberland Arms is situated between The Ouseburn Valley and Byker, 1.3 miles from Newcastle’s city centre and 0.6 miles from The Quayside. These can be reached by a pleasant ten minute stroll or a taxi ride of mere moments. A popular area for tourists and business travellers alike.
The road access to The Cumberland Arms is off the steep hill, Byker Bank.
Additional pedestrian access is down a cobbled bank and 9 small steps.
There are four large en-suite bedrooms, all of which have super-king size beds.
The first two rooms are on the first floor of the building. The third and fourth rooms are on the second floor.
The building is over 150 years old and although it has been refurbished in the last two years, massive structural changes to make it more accessible were not possible while keeping the integrity of such an old building.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 0191 265 1725 or 0191 265 6151 or to email click here.
- The turn off to James Place Street, where The Cumberland Arms is situated, is on Byker Bank (B1311)
- For an idea of where The Cumberland Arms is go to the ‘how to find us’ section of our website http://www.thecumberlandarms.co.uk or see our Google map page here http://bit.ly/iFWOJc.
- Alternatively, you can use a route planning website such as www.transportdirect.info or www.theaa.com to help plan your journey. You just need the postcode you are travelling from and ours, NE6 1LD.
- The nearest railway station is Newcastle Central Station, 1.9 miles away. This is a twenty minute walk or five minutes in a taxi, which are available outside the station. (both black cabs and private hire taxis – NODA 0191 222 1888)
- Alternatively there is a metro station at the train station with a lift and wheelchair access. You can then go to Manors station or Byker station both have reasonable access. (you can read the access statement for all metro stations at http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/guide-metro/accessibility) It is then approximately ten minutes walk from each station back to the bed and breakfast.
- There is also a bus stop for buses to the city centre, about five minutes away from the bed and breakfast, on the opposite side of the road to Morrison’s Supermarket. Stagecoach buses numbers 12, 22, 39, 40, 62 and 63 go straight to the centre of town and run every 5 minutes during the day and every 15 minutes after 6pm
- There is a local company that has access equipment for hire (www.newcastlemobility.co.uk or 0191 261 1648)
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is on street parking near to the pub and Bed and Breakfast, this is also used by the general public. If you would like to discuss parking in more detail or need assistance please call us on 0191 265 1725 or email us.
- The road is lit by street lights that are partly obscured by trees and are maintained by the council.
- The path to the entrance of the bed and breakfast is tarmac-ed and reasonably even.
- The doorway and entrance porch is lit at night by a motion sensor light.
- There is a step of less than two inches into the entrance of the bed and breakfast
- The doorway is 80cm/31.3ins wide
- Assistance will be given with luggage.
- Guests will be welcomed at the main bar, the entrance of which is approximately 7 metres/23ft from the entrance to the bed and breakfast. At quiet times there are places to sit while registering. At busier times the checking in process can happen in the guests’ bedroom if they need to sit.
- There are five tables, with bench seats and bar chairs, none of which have arms.
- The floor is wooden boards and reasonably even.
- The area has overhead lighting and can seem quite dim at dusk but there is additional spot lighting in some parts of the bar if a brighter area is needed.
- Guests are then shown out of the bar and into the bed and breakfast, up at least one flight of stairs (36 stairs with a bend to rooms 1 and 2 on the first floor) to their room.
- Assistance will be given with luggage.
- No bedrooms are on the ground floor.
- The first room is on the first floor reached by stairs only (20 stairs). It has one super-king size bed that can be split into twin singles. It has an en-suite shower room. The second room is also on this first floor and has the same bed and an en-suite shower room.
- The third and fourth bedrooms are on the second floor and can be reached by a further two sets of stairs (16 stairs). These both have super-king size beds that can be split into twin singles and en-suite shower rooms.
- All bedrooms have two comfy arm chairs and a table that can be sat at, two bedside tables, a wardrobe, a hot drink preparation table and a chest of drawers/dressing table.
- Furniture can be easily rearranged and removed in all rooms to create more space.
- The height of all the beds from the floor to the top of the mattress is 65cm/25.5ins
- Rooms are evenly lit. The overhead lighting can be controlled by dimmer switches at the door or by on off switches on both sides of the beds. There are two bedside lamps in all the bedrooms.
- All four rooms have, lighting as above, good colour contrast between walls and the floor, short pile carpet, Freeview digital flat screen televisions on moveable arms with remote control and subtitle and audio description facilities where applicable.
- There are easily accessibly extra plug sockets placed all around each room.
- All bedding is feather free and linen is polycotton.
- If you require a fire alarm with flashing light and / or a vibrating pillow pad please discuss this with us on booking and we will endeavour to arrange this for you in advance.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
- All rooms have en-suite shower rooms, with washbasin, toilet, shower cubicle and heated towel rail.
- The en-suite shower room in bedroom 1 offers the following;
- Door opening to the bathroom from the bedroom is 69cm/27.2ins.
- The shower cubicle has a step 25.5cm/10ins high and the door opens leaving a 48cm/19ins wide gap to get in to it, with a non-slip shower basin and detachable and adjustable shower head.
- The toilet is 44cm/17.5ins high from floor to seat.
- The washbasin is 79cm/31ins high and has a lever mixer tap.
- The bathroom is well lit with overhead lights and a fluorescent light over the mirror.
- Non slip laminate flooring.
- The door to the bathroom from the bedroom in room 2 is 69cm/31ins wide.
- It also has the same lighting, lever mixer tap and flooring as above, however the door into the shower opens to be 56cm/22ins wide and the step into it is 26.5cm/10.5ins high.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas, halls, stairs and landings are well lit with emergency lights and ceiling lights.
- There is short pile carpet on the stairs, hall and landings with runners on the stairs.
- There is a continuous flight of 20 steps to the first floor with a handrail on one side.
- There is a continuous flight of 11 steps to the second floor landing with a handrail on one side and a further 5 steps to the third and fourth bedrooms, with a handrail on one side.
- There are ‘In Case of Fire’ instructions clearly displayed in all rooms. There are no on-site staff over night so if you need help in the event of an evacuation please discuss this with us on booking.
- The nearest Shopmobility scheme is in Gateshead 1.5 miles away
- The nearest hospital with A&E unit is The Royal Victoria Infirmary. It is 1.8 miles away.
- The nearest Doctor’s surgery and NHS walk in unit are less than a mile away. Please let us know if you require further information about these.
- There is information packs in the rooms giving information about bus timetables, local attractions, what’s on at the local theatres etc.
- Free Wi-Fi Internet access is available. (the passcode is in the information pack).
- Any written information can be put into a format with a larger text if requested.
- We are happy to cater to any special dietary requirements. Please advise us before your arrival.
- Mobile phone reception in all parts of The Cumberland Arms is particularly good.
Address (Inc postcode):
The Cumberland Arms James Place Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 1LD
0191 265 1725 or 0191 265 6151
Hours Of Operation:
Flexible within reason
Local Equipment Hire:
www.newcastlemobility.co.uk 0800 975 3878 or 0191 261 1648
Local Accessible Taxi:
Noda 0191 222 1888 Blueline 0191 262 6666 City Cabs 0191 261 5000
Local Public Transport:
Stagecoach – 0191 276 1411 Nexus (metro) – 0191 203 3199
‘Excellent stay in the Red Room, home from home… – …I managed to get some writing done in between pints of Dark Star. A great alternative to Corporate Premieribislodgeville!’
Rob 28th November 2009
‘Our dream has finally been realised – we live at The Cumberland!’
Love Alice and Ellie
‘Bed and breakfast for grown-ups! Thanks for not festooning the place with signs and notices. You’ve got something very special here.’
Thank you, Chris Wood
‘A little hidden gem of a B&B. Lovely room, great bed and bathroom. Super breakfast, we will be back!’
‘Absolutely amazing stay! Gorgeous bed, so comfortable. Everyone we’ve met here has been lovely. We will be back and are hoping to try all the rooms (and all the ales!) Brilliant breakfast too. Perfect base for lots of great places in the Ouseburn.’
Thank you, Rachel + Johnny
‘It was great to stay at a pub I first knew in 1974 when as a student I joined the Newcastle Kingsmen and The Cumberland was already the established favourite haunt.’
‘Surely this must be the best place to arrive at after an 84 mile walk along Hadrian’s wall. Beautiful comfortable room, gorgeous breakfast in bed. What a treat! We loved it.’
Sharon + Tony
‘All the simple pleasures appreciated greatly. Good quality tea, wonderful shower, cleanliness and comfort and extra touches all round. Entertainment fantastic. Great breakfast.’
Thanks Sue and Barry
‘Luxurious space, comfortable and homely with thoughtful touches (real milk, real furniture, nice flannels.) Relaxed live music, friendly service and a wider range of ciders than I have ever tasted before. A delight – thank you.’